About the Library


The Kindred Public Library opened its doors in November 2002. A committee had been formed the previous year to study the feasibility of establishing a public library in Kindred, ND. Overwhelming results were received from the 600 surveys sent to Kindred residents. The process began by securing funding, books, and a place to call home.

Funding came from the city’s mill levy, grant funding, and generous donations/memorials from the community. The support of the community has assisted with monthly maintenance costs, purchasing equipment/books/supplies, and three expansion/remodeling projects.

When the library opened, 98% of the books were donated! The remaining 2% were purchased through a “book sale” at the Casselton, ND, Library. While some volunteers worked to get the library ready, another group worked on processing books.

A building site was secured through the Kindred Area Rural Recovery organization. A former clinic building, conveniently located on main street, was available. Through support of the community with time/equipment/money, the building was remodeled and made into a library. Library shelving was purchased as a result of remodeling by the Pelican Rapids, MN, Library.

The Kindred community of businesses, organizations and volunteers has made the Kindred Public Library into a thriving success!