Kindred Public Library
Board of Trustees – Meeting Minutes
Monday, October 11, 2021
- Joan P. called the meeting to order at 7:06 pm.
- Present were Ozzie P., Linda O., Jen G., Lisa A., (in person); Jackie J., Deb G., and Joan P. (via Zoom).
- Secretary Report – Jen G. motioned to approve previous month’s minutes, Ozzie seconds.
- Treasurer’s report
- Will be filed as presented.
- Old Business
- Regarding tree trimming between neighboring residence and library building, resident will need to visit with Jim.
- Regarding snow removal around vehicle parked behind library building – apartment resident that was parking there has retired and the vehicle is a non-issue. Good information/policy to know for future. No apartment residents parking behind library building – only for tenants/patrons.
- Committee Action Groups (Reporting Quarterly – January, April, July, October)
- Communication Group – The group will be working on creating binders that clearly lays out internal information (bylaws, policies, procedures, log information, outline of duties, etc.) of Library groups – Trustees, Directors, Volunteers, Friends.
- Signage Committee – Measured space for exterior sign (160” L x 12” T) for “Kindred Public Library” signage on building. Have been checking with businesses on options for signage that will not put holes into the building. Working on ideas, timeline, and budget.
- Community Connections Group – Will report in May
- Director’s & Friends Report – Lisa A.
- Lisa reported on the stats previously emailed out; most statistical areas are increasing.
- Missoula – Jen Swenson reported 64 kids participated in the Missoula Children’s Theater presentation of The Emperor’s New Clothes on March 26. Attendance was open to all. Would like to invite sponsors (Library) to contribute $400.00 to reserve next years’ MCT. Jackie motioned to contribute $400.00 to next years MCT, Jen G. seconded.
- Safari – Safari will take place this summer, with practice/camp being held July 26-30, with the show performance on Friday, July 30 in Davenport. Erin Hill is assisting Jen Swenson with the event.
- COVID changes – Directors discussed relaxing some of the COVID policies that were put in place including opening up the lobby/lobby seating to allow for more patrons at a time; continue to utilize book returns as much as possible, but eliminating the quarantining of books; will continue to sanitize all books/items returned; and will bring back in-person events. Jackie was supportive of the proposed changes as long as our volunteers were all comfortable with that and we won’t lose any volunteers or shifts. Jackie motions to go forward with proposed changes pending confirmation of volunteers comfortable with changes, Jen G. seconds. Linda will check with volunteers.
- Winter Reading Program – Jen G. reported the library had 18 youth and 5 adults participate in the Winter Reading Program. Gifts were given – KPL mug, GC to Ferguson Books, water bottle, Zanbroz GC.
- Story Walk Project – $430.00 grant was approved and will go toward laminator and other materials for the project. Will work in conjunction with the Park Board on other materials and the project. There will be activity bags. This will be the Summer Reading Program.
- National Library Week – Banner on the Library. Also gave out volunteer appreciation gifts – KPL mug and chocolates from Morning Glory.
- Gilbertson Little Free Library – Jen G. and her husband and son opened up the Gilbertson LFL on April 11. Thank you Jen and family!!
- Other Events – Georgia B. and Angie A. are working on the Festival of Tables event as co-chairs. Co-chairs Kristin E. and Jessica B. are busy finding homes for the Tour of Homes event in November. Friends are brainstorming events for Kindred Days this year as well as KPL’s 20th Anniversary in 2022.
- Story Time – A Monday morning Story Time for kids is being added. First Monday Story Time will be April 19.
- Digital Library – The State has transitioned it’s digital services from Zimeo and RB Digital over to Overdrive (same that Fargo Public Library uses). The app is called Libby. An email will be sent out to Kindred Library patrons with the information.
- Lisa is working on finishing two reports required by the State. She is working with the City Auditor with regards to mills, budget, etc. Also making sure the Library’s by-laws reflect laws – for example requiring the Trustees are residents of Kindred. Second report is statistical data, comparing 2019 to 2020 data and looking at how COVID affected stats.
- Jen G. motions to adjourn the meeting at 8:09 pm, Deb G. seconds.
- Next meeting is Monday, May 10 at 7:00 pm.
May 10 Agenda:
- Call to Order (attendance)
- Approve Minutes
- Treasurer’s Report
- Committee Action Reports (Community Connections)
- Old Business
- New Business
- Director’s/Friend Report